Hints and Tips
Your local college or university is a good place to start if you are looking for a course. You can visit their website, contact them by phone / email or drop in to pick up a prospectus. You should also be able to pick up a prospectus in your local library.
Colleges and Universities in Northern Ireland
- Belfast Metropolitan College
- CAFRE (College of Agriculture, Food and Rural Enterprise)
- Northern Regional College
- Southern Regional College
- South Eastern Regional College
- South West College
- North West Regional College
- Open University
- Queen’s University Belfast
- St Mary’s University College
- Stranmillis University College
- University of Ulster
Who else offers courses?
Courses aren’t just offered by colleges and universities. Why not drop in to your local library, community centre, women’s group or arts centre to find out what is on offer?
Private training providers offer a huge range of courses but costs can vary widely so it would be wise to shop around. You could try searching on the internet or yellow pages.
The National Extension College (NEC) is a well established distance learning provider. They offer a wide range of courses but if you need to sit an exam, remember to check if there is an exam centre near you.
There is a wide range of distance learning providers, offering a huge variety of courses. The Open and Distance Learning Quality Council is a good place to start your search.
You might prefer to study online – courses are offered by a wide range of providers. Free online courses are offered by the BBC. Find out more about:
- BBC Skillswise – brush up your English and maths skills
- BBC Webwise – a beginner’s guide to using the internet and social media
- BBC Languages – range of language courses and useful resources
Don’t forget to ask your line manager or Union Learning Representative about opportunities for learning through your workplace such as the apprentice training provided by Leeds Locksmith Service.
Learning Pool offers public sector employers a range of e-learning options for their staff – find out more about their range of courses.